Hip dysplasia is a word that scares and terrifies the owners of giant dogs. It is a painful condition that decreases the dog’s quality of life and makes the owner susceptible to watching his dog going through this condition which is quite heart-wrenching.
Dog owners have a misconception that hip dysplasia can only occur in large and giant dog breeds. The truth is that this condition can affect any dog breed of any size, no matter the age of your dog.
So being the loving dog owner, it is your responsibility to help your dog and not let him face the trauma alone. Hence it is necessary to educate and be aware of possible health conditions like hip dysplasia.
It is an essential step of being a good dog owner to keep your dog away from any difficulty and make him feel healthy and comfortable.
For this, it is necessary to learn what dog owners do in such a condition. This article will educate you about the symptoms, causes, treatment options, and measures to prevent hip dysplasia.
What is Hip Dysplasia?
Hip dysplasia is a condition of painful hip joint functioning. The hip joint of an individual is a ball and socket which doesn’t fit properly in hip dysplasia. So the joint doesn’t allow smooth articulation and causes rubbing. This rubbing can eventually lead the hip joint towards deterioration, and the result is non-functionality of the joint.
This condition primarily affects large dog breeds, but small dog owners should also be careful as the small dog’s weight and physical movements can also lead him to hip dysplasia.
Hence, dog owners must know the basic anatomy of the hip joint for a better diagnosis of hip dysplasia in their dogs.
What Are The Causes of Hip Dysplasia?
There are many causative factors of hip dysplasia. The most common is the genetic factor as deteriorated joint, which is coded, has a genetic basis. So hip dysplasia is commonly a hereditary ailment that’s why it mostly runs in the breeds of giant dogs like Labrador Retriever, Saint Bernard, and German Shepherd.
Many other causative factors can even magnify this genetic basis. Likewise, the dog’s growth rate, diet it consumes, weight gain, and type of exercise it does account for further causing hip dysplasia.
Nutrition is the common cause of hip dysplasia among dogs. As diet decides the development rate and weight gain for a dog, it is necessary to feed your little friend only the required food.
Consult a vet for the suggestion of the required diet for your dog. The notable food brands for dogs prevent excessive body growth, which further prevents hip dysplasia and other joint conditions.
Obesity is another factor that elaborates a pre-existing hip dysplasia.
Slowing down the growth of the dog’s body and losing weight helps prevent putting too much strain on his hips and other skeletal parts. Hence hip dysplasia is significantly prevented.
What Are The Symptoms Hip Dysplasia Affected Dogs Show?
Some dogs start showing the symptoms when they are four months old. Further symptoms start appearing if osteoarthritis hits the dog.
Both these conditions have common symptoms, so it is easy for the owners to be familiar with them to diagnose the condition on time, and treatment can be done.
The level of symptoms an individual dog shows depend on his condition. Some of the common symptoms shown by hip dysplasia dogs are:
- Noticeable pain and stiffness in the hip joint
- Decreased activity of the joint
- The low range of motion
- Visual difficulty in running, jumping, and climbing stairs
- Enlarged shoulders
How Can I Diagnose If My Dog Is Suffering From Hip Dysplasia?
It is a vet thing to diagnose whether your dog is suffering from hip dysplasia or not. So at your dog’s regular check-up, his vet will perform a physical test, which is enough for diagnosing hip dysplasia.
Hence, it is necessary to take your dog to a veterinarian for his regular check-up so he can diagnose the condition on time and start the treatment as well.
For the complete check-up, your dog’s vet will first manipulate the dog to test if the joint is loose or not. He’ll also try to know if the dog is suffering from pain, stiffness, grinding, and reduced hip activity.
One of the initial tests is your dog’s blood test, as any inflammation in the joints can also be detected through a blood test. Besides that, the dog’s previous health condition is also necessary for the vet to diagnose his current condition fully.
The best way to diagnose hip dysplasia is by X-ray or radiograph. As both these methods confirm the ailment, and the best-known method can be adopted to treat hip dysplasia.
What Are The Treatment Options For Hip Dysplasia?
There are numerous options available to treat hip dysplasia in dogs. There are available best joint supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia in the market. Besides that, lifestyle modifications and hip surgery are two other options that your dog’s vet can adopt to treat hip dysplasia among dogs.
If your dog is suffering from this condition and surgery is not a must, or you want to opt for non-surgical treatment, then your vet may recommend the following treatment options listed below:
- Dog Hip dysplasia supplements
- Exercise restriction
- Weight loss
- Dog’s physical therapy
If surgery is a practical option for you, then the vet uses many strategies to do that. Here are given three practical surgery techniques which veterinarians use.
- Femoral head ostectomy (FHO)
- Double or triple pelvic osteotomy (DPO/TPO)
- Total hip replacement (THR)
How Can Hip Dysplasia In Dogs Be Prevented?
Some breeds remarkably show this condition while others don’t. The reason, as mentioned earlier, is genetics which can’t be prevented.
Here, you can play your best part by choosing a less susceptible breed to develop hip dysplasia. Regularly screen your dog breed for the disease.
Besides that, there are some steps that the owner can adapt to prevent his pet from developing hip dysplasia.
- Regularly feed your dog only the required amount of food, so he doesn’t develop extra weight and grows normally.
- Too much exercise on harsh surfaces can also cause hip dysplasia and make the joint stiff and painful. So keep your little puppy away from too laborious exercise on hard surfaces.
- Losing extra fat and cutting down on obesity also helps prevent hip dysplasia.
- Preventing fatty food and feeding your dog only the food brand recommended by your dog’s veterinarian is the best way to keep your dog healthy.
Here we present 10 best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs. It will surely help you in choosing the best dietary option for your little friend.
1. Greenies Hip & Joint Dog Supplements
Greenies hip joint supplement is regarded among the best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs. The dogs generally like these flavored chews, so it is easy to feed them with regular meals.
Greenies joint health supplement is specifically designed to help adult and senior dogs to continue their active routine without pain and tingling in the hip joint.
The supplement is available in many different flavors, including chicken flavor, a favorite of the top breed dogs. The supplement is not breed-specific, so it is available for all dogs suffering from arthritis and hip dysplasia.
- Glucosamine (500 mg)
- Chondroitin (400 mg)
- Dried Corn Syrup
- Citric Acid
- Skim Milk
- Dried Chicken
- Rosemary Extract
- Sodium Bisulfate
- Natural Flavors
- Wheat Flour
- For senior dogs suffering from stiff and paining joints.
- Treats inflammation and swelling in the hips and legs.
- Restores functioning, activity, and flexibility of the joints.
- It contains high levels of Glucosamine and Chondroitin, which are building blocks of healthy joints.
- Tasty chews with no added preservatives or artificial flavors.
Directions of Use:
Manufacturers recommend different doses of the supplement.
- 25 Ibs-1 chew daily
- 26-50 Ibs-2 chews
The dogs having a weight greater than 50 Ibs should take three chews in a day with regular food or drinking water.
While the owners of dogs having weight less than 25 Ibs should tear the soft chew into small pieces, so the supplement becomes more chewable.
2. WoofWell German Shepherd Health Supplement
One of the best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs is the WoofWell Health supplement for German Shepherd. It provides exceptional joint support for German Shepherds suffering from hip dysplasia.
It is a soft chewable dog supplement, which is breed-specific. Moreover, the manufacturers precisely formulate it to treat Hip Dysplasia among German Shepherds and relieve pain and tingling in the hip joint.
WoofWell joint support supplement for dogs provides ocular health with many benefits for optimal mutual support. It is available in many flavors so that dogs can take it without much stress.
- World’s first breed-specific supplement for German Shepherd dogs.
- Provides long-term ocular health, builds good eyesight.
- Enhances immune system, helps maintain an average inflammatory level
- Relieves occasional joint stiffness in hips
- Present in many different and tasty flavors
Directions of Use:
The supplement is available in many different flavors, sizes, and price packages.
The practical dose for 65 Ibs weight dogs is two pills in a day. While the dogs having 65-69 Ibs weight should eat three capsules per day for daily joint support. Likewise, the German Shepherds having size 100 Ibs or above must have four chews in a day.
3. Dog Joint Supplement by InClover
InClover formulates one of the best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs. This dog’s hip joint support formula aids your dog in mobility and treats painful movements.
Besides that, the supplement casts longer results on its users as it is clinically tested and proven for long-lasting results. It helps in the fast treatment of immobile, aging, and lazy dogs.
The manufacturers are best known for their products regarding animal supplements. They use research-based, finest ingredients to formulate natural pet supplements. The formula works in just 15 days of consumption.
Moreover, it casts numerous benefits to an aching body.
InClover has won many top awards for the formulation of the best ingredients loved by dogs. InClover is a proud member of the Pet Sustainability Coalition.
The manufacturers and workers are committed to saving animals, and their motto is to make this planet safe for dogs, pets, and other animals. Likewise, their services for PSC are remarkable and appreciatable.
- Devil’s Claw
- Cayenne Capsaicin
- Black Cohosh
- Long-lasting impacts
- Helps to cushion the hip joint for increasing its flexibility and lubrication.
- Formulates the finest ingredients to maximum support the joint.
- Supports healthy musculoskeletal functioning of the dog’s body.
- Comforts regular motion of the joint.
- Gives high energy during the peak hours of physical activity.
4. Vetro Dog Hip and Joint Supplement
It is another dog hip dysplasia supplement to relieve pain and inflammation. It uses Glucosamine and Chondroitin, which are best known to support normal joint functioning.
They have many anti-inflammatory properties, reduces stiffness and pain in the hip joints and aids motility.
The supplement contains chewable pills and is available in numerous flavors, which dogs like. Besides hip dysplasia, VetPro Dog Hip and Joint Supplement also treat arthritis among old dogs.
- Omega 3
- Vitamin C
- Omega 3
- A veterinarian-recommended a formula for dogs.
- Also relieves joint immobility among the cats.
- Relieves your dog from painful arthritis, stiff and immobile joints.
- Gives your dog enough cardiovascular support.
- Reduces swelling in the joints.
- Beneficial for the digestive system, skin, and liver health.
- The supplement is available for all size and age group dogs.
- Contains immune-boosting fatty acids
- Treats common cold and relieves body weakness.
- Keeps the skin hydrated.
Directions of Use:
Manufacturers suggest the required dose according to the weight and size of the dog. Different aged dogs with different weights must take additional quantities of the supplement, as mentioned below.
- 20 Ibs-1 chew daily
- 20-25 Ibs-2 chews in a day
- 50-75 Ibs-3 capsules daily
- Above 75 Ibs-4 chews daily
If your dog can’t take four chews at a time, divide the dosage into morning and evening doses.
5. STRELLALAB All-Natural Hemp Chews with Glucosamine for Dogs
It is an advanced supplement for hip and joint support with 100% organic ingredients in hand. This joint relief formula is made in the USA under an FDA-approved facility and is among the best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs.
In addition, this health supplement is healthy and tasty, which will help you feed your dog the required dose without much stress.
The supplement’s taste is liked and craved by the dogs, so you don’t have to trick them into feeding the pills. The supplement is available in many different flavors.
- Glucosamine HCL: Helps to cushion and lubricate hip joint to treat hip dysplasia.
- Hemp seed oil: Provides the essential vitamins for joint support.
- Chondroitin Sulfate: Supports cartilage development to help in proper joint function.
- MSM: Relieves joint pain and inflammation to reduce swelling.
- Hemp seed Powder: Provides Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids,
Other ingredients present in STRELLALAB All-Natural Hemp Chews are:
- Vitamin C
- Yucca Schidigera Extract
- Eggshell Meal
- Vitamin E
- Improves joint functioning and movement.
- Delicious taste.
- Veterinarian-Formulated supplement for dogs.
- A perfect formula for treating hip dysplasia in dogs.
- Relieves the pain associated with knee stifle injuries.
- Enhances mobility of the joint & reduces discomfort & swelling.
Directions of Use:
Manufacturers recommend the dose according to the weight of the little puppy. Here we mention the suggested amounts:
- 20-25 Ibs-1 chews in a day
- 25-50 Ibs-2 tablets per day
- 50-75 Ibs-3 chews per day
- 75-100 Ibs-4 chews daily.
While the dogs having weight 100 Ibs or above should take five chews daily to support their joints.
6. Coco And Luna Glucosamine for Dogs
Coco and Luna is a renowned brand for selling the best supplement for dog hip dysplasia. It is an exceptional hip supporting formula specially formulated for dogs with healthy and natural ingredients.
The top breed dogs also like its taste. Hence it is among the best supplements for dog hip dysplasia treatment that you are looking for.
It treats arthritis inflammation, relieves joint pain and stiffness due to hip dysplasia, and recovers cartilage to enhance mobility.
This premium joint support formula is beneficial to promote cartilage health and development, refine mobility and lubrication of the joints, and restore active movements.
It uses no harmful elements for treating hip dysplasia. Top clinics test the ingredients before formulating them in the supplement.
- Have anti-inflammatory properties
- Restores joint mobility naturally
- Improves joint lubrication
- Reduces pain and inflammation in joints.
- Removes harmful free radicals that damage cartilage.
- Improves overall joint health for promoting a normal range of motion.
- It supports the cartilage to enhance the active lifestyle of the dog.
- Manganese gives energy to the body by metabolizing glucose and proteins.
- Free from harsh chemical ingredients.
- For dogs of all age groups.
- Preserves the integrity of the joint and prevents early deterioration.
- Tasty with numerous health benefits.
- Removes waste materials from the body and detoxifies them.
- Gives immune and antioxidant support.
- Decreases pain by supporting joint tissue.
- Improves cartilage condition and gives skin health support.
- Gives energy to the body when required.
- Maintains normal fluid and minerals levels in your dog’s body.
7. PawfectChew for Dogs
Pawfect is an ultimate brand for joint supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia in the market. It is specifically formulated to help decrease pain and inflammation in the joints. It cushions and lubricates the synovial fluid, which further helps motility.
This advanced formula formulates essential elements present in the best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs. Moreover, this comprehensive motility supplement eases discomfort in older dogs with maximum support of their hip joint.
In addition, the supplement is available in many yummy flavors, preferable for dogs so that they can chew the pills without much stress.
Besides that, the supplement is made in the USA, following strict GMP standards. It uses all-natural components and ingredients with no added sugars.
These treats don’t contain any artificial preservatives and flavors, soy, corn, dairy, hormones, fatty acids, or sugars.
- Glucosamine HCL
- Hempseed oil
- Vitamin C
- Yucca Schidigera Extract
- Chondroitin Sulfate
- Vitamin E
- Hempseed Powder
- Eggshell Meal
- Available for all dog breeds and age groups.
- Contains natural premium ingredients for joint support.
- Provides pain and inflammation relief.
- It is a treat with delicious flavor, usually liked by the dogs.
- Gives energy and maximum motility support.
- Dogs can chew the supplement quite easily.
Directions of Use:
Manufacturers recommend the dose basis on the dog’s weight and body size. You may consult your dog’s vet for the suggested dose. At the same time, the recommended dose is also present on their official website.
8. TerraMax Pro Best Hip and Joint Supplement for Dogs
It is among the best hip dysplasia supplements for dogs. It contains liquid Glucosamine and MSM, Chondroitin, and Hyaluronic acid for the safe treatment of hip dysplasia and arthritis.
The supplement is made in the US under an FDA-approved facility. In addition, it provides extra strength for maximum physical activity without facing pain and tingling in the joint and hip area.
This supplement is a safe product for dogs as it is veterinarian-recommended. Besides that, it has maximum absorption ability in the dog’s body.
Moreover, pets also like its taste as it is a convenient formula with no added artificial ingredients.
- Glucosamine 1600 mg
- Chondroitin Sulfate 1200 mg
- MSM 1000 mg
- Manganese Chelate 7 mg
- Hyaluronic Acid 10 mg.
- Vet recommended.
- 100% safe and beneficial ingredients.
- Super absorption with better and long-lasting results.
- Treats inconvenient joint pain.
- Improves skin and gut health.
- Convenient to feed and have good taste so generally liked by dogs.
- It is a liquid supplement that absorbs way better than chews.
Directions of Use:
Consult a vet for the suggestion of recommended dose for your dog for the fastest recovery.
You can also analyze the situation at home. Add the liquid to your dog’s food or drinking water. Gradually increase the dose within four weeks and see the results. You will surely get significant results within a month of use.
9. Native Pet Relief Anti-Inflammatory Formula for Dogs
This chewable supplement is among the best supplements for dogs with hip dysplasia. It is a natural dog aspirin for relieving pain and stiffness in joints. Likewise, this natural formula helps ease arthritis and hip dysplasia in dogs and enhance their quality of life.
Native Pet Relief Anti-Inflammatory Formula uses clinically tested ingredients for chronic inflammation relief. It gives motility support for the dogs of every breed regardless of age.
The supplement is available in many yummy flavors, including chicken turmeric flavor, which the dogs generally like as their regular supplement.
- Green-lipped mussels
- A veterinary formulated and recommended supplement for joint support.
- Relieves the dog from arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other joint-related diseases.
- Treats chronic inflammation to decrease swelling in the hip joints.
- It gives motility to the hip joint by helping to develop cartilage at the site.
- The supplement is available in many flavors, which dogs generally like.
- It contains active ingredients along with inactive ones for enhancing flavors naturally without using artificial taste enhancers.
- The best formula for older and senior dogs.
10. PupGrade Joint Support Supplement for Dogs
The Pupgrade Joint Support is another supplement that provides one of the best supplements for hip dysplasia in dogs. It effectively treats arthritis, hip dysplasia, and other joint diseases.
Unlike other supplements, PupGrade is clinically proven to enhance hind leg strength. Besides that, it promotes the rebuild of cartilage which eventually cushions the joints and further alleviates discomfort.
In addition, the supplement is available in numerous yummy flavors. Most of the dogs like meat-flavored chews, which is an enjoyable experience for the dog.
Their chews are passed through rigorous taste testing, enabling the manufacturers to choose the best taste for their users.
- Hyaluronic acid
- Amino acids
- Increases mobility by restoring joint health naturally and effectively.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties, which help reduce pain and swelling.
- Their oxidative properties help detoxify the blood and remove toxins from the bloodstream.
- Gives the joint lubrication and analgesic effect.
- Improves uptake of minerals and vitamins by the cells.
- Balances sugar level and improves pancreas performance.
- Effectively treats arthritis and hip dysplasia.
- It blocks the sensation of pain arising from the hip joint area.
- Increases hind leg strength up to 41% in just a few weeks of consumption.
- Taste is generally liked by the dogs of all breeds.
Directions of Use:
Consult your dog’s vet for the ideal recommended dose of PupGrade Joint Support Supplement for your dog. You can also analyze the dose at home by regularly feeding him changed doses of the supplement.